UNC Sociology Visiting Days 2021
Congratulations once again on your acceptance to the Department of Sociology’s Ph.D. program here at UNC Chapel Hill! We’re proud of our Ph.D. program and of our department, which has been ranked among the top Sociology departments for a century. And we’re excited to share more about our department and the opportunities it offers during our 2021 Sociology Virtual Visiting Days (February 25 & February 26).
While we wish we could be gathering in person, we’re excited and looking forward to meeting you virtually! Our planning committee has worked hard to design an engaging and fun way for you to learn about what it’s like to be a graduate student at Carolina, and this website will be your hub during Virtual Visiting Days. You can find our full schedule of events here and a quick overview below.
Spend some time exploring this site, using the navigation to the right (or below if you’re viewing this on your phone). There are a few things you can do before we kick off Visiting Days to make meeting virtually a little more fun and a little more like meeting each other in person!
- Check out the welcome videos from Sociology’s current graduate students, faculty, and staff. Next, record your own and help us get to know you a little before we all jump on Zoom!
- Take a virtual tour of UNC and explore the graduate student specific resources at UNC.
- Then, learn a little about the platform we’ll be using to gather and socialize – Gathertown (Gather). Instead of using Zoom, we’ll hold our social events on Gather, which is a new video-calling platform that lets multiple people hold separate conversations simultaneously and walk in, out, and around those conversations like they would in real life in the before-times. Take a look at the rooms we’ll be using and explore the key features to learn how it all works!
We’ll also use GroupMe as a way to stay in touch in real time during Virtual Visiting Days. Chat with newly admitted and current graduate students. Think of this like your “Event Hall” at a conference where you can bump into people, chat, and ask questions.
When it’s time to join our live panels and workshops via Zoom, you can do that here!
2021 Virtual Visiting Days Schedule At-A-Glance
*Please note that all start times listed are for Eastern Time (ET)*
Full Schedule Here
Thursday, February 25
10:00 – 11:00am – Informal meet and greet with current graduate students [on Gather]
11:00am – 12:30pm – Carolina Sociology Graduate Program Welcome [on Zoom]
12:30 – 2:00pm – Break / optional Carolina Population Center (CPC) Workshop (12:30-1:30) [on Zoom]
2:00 – 3:45pm – Sample Class – SOCI 707 (Barbara Entwisle) [on Zoom]
3:45 – 4:15pm – Break
4:15 – 5:30pm – Research at Carolina Panel [on Zoom]
5:45pm – Happy Hour (current and new graduate students) [on Gather]
Friday, February 26
10:00 am – 12:00pm – Faculty meetings [on Gather]
- NOTE: This time block is when faculty meetings will take place. It is likely you will not have meetings the entire 10:00am-12:00pm time block. Please hold this time for now, though.
12:00 – 3:00pm – Workshops [on Zoom]
- Carolina Population Center (12:00-2:20pm)
- Culture and Politics Workshop (12:15-1:30pm)
- Qualitative Data (2:00 -3:15pm)
3:15 – 5:00pm – Graduate Student Life (panel/Q&A) [on Zoom]
5:15pm – Social Event with faculty & current students [on Gather]
If you have any questions or need technical assistance, you can contact the Graduate Student Services Manager, Kira Jones, at email@example.com.